About Our Organization
The Federation of Disability Organizations in Malawi (FEDOMA) was founded in 1999, as an umbrella of Organizations of Persons with Disabilities OPDs in Malawi to provide a unified voice for all OPDs.
FEDOMA has a specific mandate as the voice of persons with disabilities of all kinds throughout Malawi and in acting on their behalf, ensuring that persons with disabilities have access to services and support that the able bodied community takes for granted.
FEDOMA is registered under the Trustees Incorporation Act and the Malawi Council for the Handicapped (MACOHA) and works in liaison with the Ministry Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare.
Currently, there are 12 Organisations of Persons with Disabilities (OPDs) affiliated to FEDOMA as follows:
- Malawi Union of the Blind (MUB).
- Disabled Women in Development (DIWODE).
- Malawi National Association of the Deaf (MANAD).
- Spinal Injuries Association of Malawi (SIAM)
- Parents of Disabled Children Association in Malawi (PODCAM).
- Association of persons with Albinism of Malawi (APAM).
- Association of the Physically Disabled in Malawi (APDM).
- Disabled Widows Orphans Organisation in Malawi (DWOOM)
- National Epilepsy Association(NEA)
- Disability rights Movement
- Visual and Hearing Impaired Association of Malawi(VIHEMA)
- Mental Health Users and Cares Association (MEHUCA)
The organisation is staffed and managed by an inclusive mix of persons with disabilities and persons without disabilities. This mix is reflected through the staff, the Board and the Trustees. The organisation is led, on behalf of the Trustees and Board by the Executive Director. An elected volunteer Board made up of representatives of the eight development partner organisations manages FEDOMA. Elected voluntary officers within the Board – the Chairperson, the Secretary and Treasurer – work with the Secretariat Staff to ensure proper compliance with Board of governance. In addition to the Executive Board there is a legally constituted Board of Trustees that ensures that the organisation is in full compliance with the legal requirements of Malawi and company law as it relates to national NGO’s.
|Board of Trustee||Executive Council|
|Ms. Odillia Phiri (Chairperson)||Mr. Mapopa Shaba ( Chairperson)|
|Professor Jonathan Makuwila||M.s Scader Luwis (Vice Chairperson)|
|Mrs. Grace Gondwe (Secretary)|
|Mrs. Bertha Malaya (Vice Secretary)|
|Mrs. Muchaneta Nachanje (Treasure)|
- Mr. George Matipwiri
- Mr. Jailosi Wachimwa
- M.s Fanny Singini
- Mrs. Simon Thom
- Mr. Gaston Manda
FEDOMA strives for an inclusive barrier free society where every individual is able to maximize their fullest potential
FEDOMA is an umbrella of Organizations of Persons with Disabilities which works to unify, coordinate efforts and strengthen the advocacy work its affiliates for the well-being of Persons with Disabilities in Malawi
- to promote and advocate for the rights of persons with disabilities,
- to advocate for and monitor the equalization of opportunities for people with disabilities as stipulated in the United Nation’s Standard Rules,
- to coordinate the formation and strengthen the capacity of the affiliated DPOs.
- Accountability and transparency
- Respect for Human rights
- Equal opportunities (equity)
- Team work
- Gender sensitivy
- Good governance
- Belief in God